Nutrition Week: Terri’s Tips
Make Half Your Plate Fruits and Vegetables
Fruits and veggies add color, flavor and texture plus vitamins, minerals and fiber to your plate. Make 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables your daily goal. Don’t let cost stop you from enjoying produce. Frozen and canned are great alternatives. See “20 Ways to Enjoy More Fruits and Vegetables” at www.eatright.org/nutritiontipsheets.
WIC is a nutrition progam which has been established for Women, Infants and Children. WIC serves pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants, and preschool children.
Sufficient nutrition during growth and development improves the health of our children, our society, and future generations. This means that good nutrition during pregnancy, infancy an childhood can help build a fit and healthy population.
WIC Services Includes:
- Nutrition Screening and Assessment
- Nutrition Care Plan
- Nutrition Counseling
- Breast-Feeding Guidance
- Breast Pump Loan Program
- Food Tastings
- Nutrition Activities and Group Classes
- Cooking Demonstrations and Recipes
- Referral Assistance to other Public Programs
These service are provided by Capitol City Family Health Center Nutritionists, Nurses, and Health and Nutrition Educators in this healthcare clinic.
- Pregnant and Postpartum Women
- Children (Under 5 years old)
- Medicaid Participants
- FITAP Participants
- Food Stamps Participants
- Meet income guidelines for WIC
- Who are at nutritional risk, as defined by WIC guidelines
What Should You Bring On Your First Visit?
- The participant (infant, child, or women)
- Proof of identity for the participant and for the proxy of participant and for the proxy or parent/caretaker of the infant/child
- Proof of participation in the Medicaid, food stamp or TANF program or proof of income
- Proof of a Louisiana address
- If available, medical information form your doctor (height, weight, and immunization records)
Where Do You Go?
To sign up for the WIC Program, go to the WIC clinic nearest you. You can call 1-800-251-BABY to find out which WIC clinic is in your area.
Capitol City Family Health Center Women, Infant and Children (WIC) Clinic Sites :
CCFHC Mid-City (WIC) CCFHC MLK (WIC)
3111 Florida Street 4142 Gus Young Avenue
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806 Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802
Phone: 225-650-2000 Phone: 225-388-5861
Fax: 225-615-8794 Fax: 225-388-5876